Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Thirteen

Happy Thirteenth Birthday Audrey!


You've had a great year! You took your first trip abroad and let us drag you all over Italy! I was a little nervous, because you can get grumpy when you're tired (and don't even get me started on what you're like when you are HANGRY!), but you were quite the trooper. And your sense of humor was always on point whether you were poking fun at some of the art, or taking selfies in the Pantheon.
 


This year you gave up basketball but kept playing soccer. I love to watch you play! You are 100% responsible for anything I understand about soccer! Well, you and watching Ted Lasso (which we are watching for the THIRD time!)



You're doing a great job in middle school! Your teachers love you! You finished sixth grade as the "Jaguar of the Year". But the social gauntlet that is middle school is so tough to watch. It makes me a little sad to see some of the friends you've had since you were three fade out of your life, but you've managed to make some new friends. 


You are really good at doing costume makeup! And you went from being afraid of scary movies to being obsessed with the movie Scream. I still haven't quite figured that one out!


I really hope you never stop creating! You draw, paint, write. You wrote a poem about your experience with being a third-grader during COVID that brought your old third grade teacher to tears. And this summer you were bored one day so you dug out your dad's old guitar and started teaching yourself how to play. When I was stuck in bed for those terrible couple months having you come into my room and play for me was often the highlight of my day!

Thank goodness I was better by the time of your Christmas Show! I love to watch you perform!



I was so proud of your performance in Finding Nemo Jr the Musical! You looks so relaxed out there, and like you were having the best time! 


There are so many things I could list that made us proud last year, but I'm proudest of one thing....through all the crazy middle school ups and downs your sense-of-self has remained strong! When other kids in your circle are spending hundreds of dollars on "skincare" you (laughingly) maintain your "elaborate two-step skin care routine" which as far as I can tell involves getting yourself really wet in the bathroom and then doing something mysterious with an ice cube. I feel so proud that you don't feel like you need makeup to feel beautiful (I know I did at your age!) but I won't judge you if that changes this year. Whatever happens, I just want you to stay true to yourself in all that you do.



It's been a great year, and we love spending time with you! 

Happy Birthday Audrey, we love you so much!




No comments: