Thursday, February 08, 2024

Seventeen

Happy Seventeenth Birthday Maddy! 

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you are seventeen. It feels like one minute you're in preschool, playing with "tubes and beads" and the next minute we're are setting up college tours. 



Taking the above photo before school on a day when you have physics class first period (the one class where the teacher locks the door at 7:36) was a risky move on our part, given how our mornings usually go! This school year, we made a big step in making you independent by forcing you to get up with an alarm clock instead of relying on the mom-alarm. It may go off for ten minutes or so, but you get up EVENTUALLY. Let's just say I hope you can avoid 8am classes in college!

I can't say that you love high school exactly...you tend to think you are surrounded by idiots (and from what I hear, I can't disagree) but you work really really hard and your teachers notice!


I'm so glad that you have found your niche with the drama kids! And so proud that you're the official Prop Master this year. Deep down, I suspect that you're an organizational nerd who loves spreadsheets and lists. But you're also not afraid to use a hammer or a drill and get covered in paint!

On the weekends you turn into a sloth! I don't blame you with how busy your weekdays are, especially when you are in the middle of a drama production. You're definitely not a morning person, and your school starts WAY too early every day. I love how Hermione takes advantage of your lazy weekend mornings to snuggle. You are HER person, and she really misses you when you're in school all week!


         

This year you got to travel abroad for the first time. Which puts you about 30 years ahead of when your dad or I made it to Europe. You are an awesome traveler! We had such a great trip with you, you're so easygoing, up for anything and curious about the world. As long as you could have your pasta carbonara you were happy!


Summer remains your favorite time of year. You love any kind of boating! It's unclear yet if you''ll be able to ever drive a car, but kayaking and sailing give you a kind of independence that you crave.



We're so proud of all you achieved at Piers Park. We had no idea what you were capable of when you took us out sailing last summer and you blew us away. I love your confidence and your passion for sailing!


Forgive me for being a little melancholy...it's hard not to wonder where that little chubby cheeked, curly haired toddler went. The one that used to make me wrap up Grover and Raccoon in a blanket every night at bedtime. Or sing Daisy exactly three times. Not that I don't love the young adult you're becoming! It's so fun to laugh with you and spend time with you laughing at cat memes or watching TV.... even if you make me watch The Walking Dead. Every evening on the couch together feels so precious! 




Happy Birthday Maddy! We love you so much!

No comments: