Sunday, February 08, 2015

Eight

Happy Eighth Birthday Maddy!

It's been a great year. I know I am biased, but you are a delightful human being in pretty much every way. I love this age. You are interesting to talk with and yet you don't think your dad and I are total losers (yet). I wish this age could last forever.

Aside from the fact that you always seem to be in a good mood, I think the first thing that people comment about you is your sense of humor. You've always been funny, but humor with a second-grader's enthusiasm is just hilarious.



Funny accents, fart humor, knock-knock jokes, you name it and you're doing it. Why simply walk when you can have a silly walk contest?

That's not to say you're never serious. You still love school and I'm so proud of how well you are doing! I think the thing that is so awesome is your curiosity. No matter what you are learning about it is the most interesting thing ever! You'd go to the Museum of Science every weekend if we'd let you.




I love doing cooking projects with you, though it is curious how whenever you get involved chocolate chips become mandatory.



It's my goal to help you do some cooking projects on your own this year, and we started with making cookies on one of your (MANY!) snow days. It wasn't easy, but between the two of us we can figure out a way for you to do anything you need to do.



Speaking of snow days, this winter has been a challenge! I mean, you guys drink three different kinds of milk and every weather forecast has me running to the grocery store. This state of high alert is exhausting! Still, your spirits are pretty high.



With all this snow, there's been lots of time for your very favorite thing in the world….snuggling with your "friends" and reading books. While all the parents I know are complaining about all the snow days, I keep quiet about the fact that you just entertain yourself pretty much all day. And this year, your reading skills have gotten so good that you like to read non-fiction too. Pompeii, Sacajawea, Milton Hershey….you love to read just about anything! Over breakfast everyday, you sit with your 5000 Amazing Fact book and tell me all sorts of interesting things.



This year you became a lot more open to new things. For example, I was really nervous about how you'd handle being a flower girl in Uncle Kenny's wedding. Walking down the aisle, (briefly) being the center of attention, getting your hair done, wearing new shoes and an itchy dress...all these things I could imagine adding up to to a terrible day for you. But instead, you rolled with the punches, enjoyed the day and made us so proud!



And while you've always been a notoriously picky eater, this year you've let us push you out of your comfort zone a bit. You new favorite food is chicken cordon bleu. And you even let your dad talk you in to trying sushi recently. Clearly, you were not impressed! But you tried it, and that was awesome!



It's such a joy to watch you grow and learn! Your enthusiasm and perpetual bright-side-seeking personality inspire us to look on the bright side too (even when when get even more snow on top of the three plus feet we already have!)



Happy Birthday Maddy! We can't wait to see all the things you'll teach us next year!

No comments: